The materials presented on this webpage and website are provided for general informational purposes only. No informational materials presented here are in any way a substitute for a professional home inspection, professional pool and spa inspection, or evaluation by a qualified and licensed contractor.
SacPro Home Inspections offers high quality recreational swimming pool and spa inspections. Our certified home inspectors look at more than 60 different aspects of home pools and spas to inspect safety features, functionality, deficiencies, and recommended changes.
Our home inspectors are proud supporters of the CREIA “Children Aren’t Waterproof” safety campaign to protect children from drowning. By identifying required pool safety equipment and making recommendations our home inspectors work with home buyers, home sellers, and real estate agents to improve pool safety.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention states the 2nd leading cause of death in the United States for children ages 1 – 4 is accidental drowning. Most drownings occur at home.
Top 7 Pool Safety Features:
1) Permanent pool or spa fencing that separates your pool or spa from the home. The rigid fencing enclosure must be at least 60 inches high and shall not be climbable, and equipped with self-closing and self-latching access gate or gates which open outward in a direction away from the pool. The self-latching mechanism shall be located no lower than 60 inches above the ground, no gap exceeding 2 inches may exist between the ground and the fencing. Nothing larger than a 4″ sphere may pass between any gaps or voids anywhere along the fencing or gate(s).
2. A removable Mesh Fence
A removable mesh fence that provides 360-degrees of protection for the pool or spa from the home. The top of the fence needs to be a minimum of 48-inches high, with hinged gates that must be self-closing and self-latching. The gates must open outward and in a direction away from the pool, and accommodate a locking mechanism that is located no lower than 54-inches above grade measured from the ground outside the gate. Latching devices which secure each barrier section of the mesh fencing shall be located no lower than 45-inches above grade, and provide security equal to or greater than the hook-and-eye type type latch with a spring retaining lever (safety gate hook).
3. A manual or automated safety pool cover
Due to the extensive details and requirements for qualified safety pool covers being too complex to discuss here, a licensed pool or spa contractor should be consulted to provide you with their assessment and recommendations.
4. Exit alarms on all doors and windows that provide direct access to the swimming pool or spa.
All doors and windows which may provide direct access to a pool or spa shall be equipped with an “exit alarm”.
5. Self-closing and self-latching devices that prevents direct access to the swimming pool or spa.
All doors which may provide direct access to a poo or spa shall be equipped with a self-closing and self-latching device with a release mechanism placed no lower than 54 inches above the floor.
6. Pool and spa alarm that will sound upon detection of accidental or unauthorized entrance into the water.
A pool and spa alarm that detects surface motion or by pressure, sonar, laser, and/or infrared. Alarms which are not approved are personal alarms designed for individual use, including an alarm attached to a child that sounds when the child exceeds a certain distance or becomes submerged in water.
7. Other means of protection as approved by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) which afford a degree of protection equal to or greater than the aforementioned approved devices which has been independently verified by an approved testing laboratory.
Call (916) 333-0540 to order a home inspection.
SacPro Home Inspections is committed to always providing our clients with outstanding service. Our experienced home inspectors are thorough and have excellent communications skills. If you are buying or selling in Antelope, Arden Park, Auburn, Arbuckle, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Davis, Dixon, East Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Elk Grove, Elverta, Fair Oaks, Folsom, Garden of the Gods, Granite Bay, Natomas, Orangevale, Rancho Cordova, Rancho Murieta, Rio Vista, Rocklin, Rosemont, Roseville, Sacramento, Sierra Oaks, West Sacramento, Williams, Winters, and Woodland areas, then we can help!